1.01.2010

odd girl out

usually the time from mid-november until the end of the year gets everyone excited. most look forward to time off, celebrations and whatever else these several weeks promise to provide. i, on the other hand, don't quite fit in with the masses. the 'holidays', as they are commonly called, tend to put a feeling of dread through my blood. i don't equate this time with a whole lot of enjoyment and fervor. instead it drums up thoughts of chaos, extra cleaning and cooking, extra financial strain, extra family fighting, too much sugar (which directly translates to grumpy, whiny kids), silly & impractical traditions, and a number of other things i can't recall right now.

i can't seem to understand why the world thinks we should only be nice to one another and remember the SAVIOR just one day out of the year. are we not to strive always to treat each other as we would want to be treated, and recognize always the SAVIOR and his life?

i don't get why the world says that goals and change should occur just because of a specific date on the calendar. are we not to always be thinking of how we can change for the better?

i never have figured out the purpose of giving meaningless presents just to watch someone shred the wrapping paper in seconds. we must think we 'enjoy' it because it's what was done to us when we were children. have we been conditioned to tie our self-worth to what boxes we open up on a single day each year?

i never have been one for traditions, just for tradition's sake. there has to be real purpose in it for me, or it just seems useless. i have more than enough to be grateful for. and i guess while the rest of the world sets a million new goals they will probably be ignoring in a week... i should make a resolve also. i RESOLVE to strive to increase my gratitude.

these last several weeks of the year seem to make the masses so happy and reflective. i envy those who are happy with just what they've been given, and don't find the need to constantly look outside the circle. my friend crystal is one such person. i've always looked to her to figure out how to click into that line of thinking. just how DOES one truly be grateful for things they don't even like? i'll be working on the answer to that one.

okay, enough of the cynicism. moving on to more positive notes...

2 comments:

BerginMania said...

I don't think you were cynical at all. I think you're right on target. I think your "new" resolution for gratitude is awesome. I've always thought I was a grateful person, UNTIL this pregnancy, which seems to have sucked all the gratitude right out of me. I hate that. Like you, I'm working on finding it again even while not liking my circumstance.

I proposed last night that we make each other's gifts for the next Christmas. Oh boy, talk about weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Makes me want to do it more. I super simplified this last Christmas. Very little was spent, it was rather nice.

I don't think you're an "odd girl out", you and my mom would get a long very well. :)

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

We did a homemade christmas this year and it was amazing. Would totally recommend it. Not too much strain on a budget but does take a ton of planning and time, to make it worthwhile. Like "bought" gifts, they are more meaningful if the person knows you truly thought of them and who they are and what they like in preparing your gift for them.
Someone at church today talked about how your whole outlook on life changes when you have a grateful heart. I am with you..something I need to work on. :)