9.23.2009

in denial

first of all, those owls were driving me berzerk! i couldn't even make myself last a full month looking at them! and i'm sure this muted tropical background will be on my nerves soon enough. i mean, what happened to the lovely bright colors of summer? did we leave those behind in the 90s? i want something reminiscent of popsicles, swimming, and tropical fish. i want to smell the sunscreen and salt in the air.

on that note, i'm not ready for fall. not ready, not ready, not ready i tell you! can you hear me stomping my feet and throwing a tantrum? it seems i'm NEVER ready. every year i wish fall wouldn't come so soon. i don't want to think of halloween costumes and thanksgiving dinner menus. and i for sure don't want to think of christmas gift lists! what's the trick to welcoming fall and the holidays? is it a preparedness issue? should i start planning the new school year in january so that i can plan halloween in june and christmas in september? is it a money issue? would i be happier if i could buy all the placemats and mantle decorations i wanted? i'm just not sure. i don't want to dread it every year. i hate all the cutesy decorations and that i'm not creative enough to come up with ones that fit my style. i hate that no adult likes wearing a costume, and therefore i can't have a HUGE halloween bash like i've always wanted. i hate that christmas has to be about gifts and toys instead of spending time together. i hate that it seems holidays can't be enjoyed unless everyone is constantly eating candy.

besides. i live in SD where summer hasn't ended yet. or has it? the weather is still the same, so i can't really tell. and i'm glad. i'm crossing my fingers it never changes so i can pretend that it's summer always.

3 comments:

emily said...

I saw cute glittery skull heads (silver, white and black) at all a dollar the other day. Not sure if that's your thing or not - but they were cute for being only a dollar. Maybe you don't even have all a dollar. As for the candy thing - people just love candy. I'm not really sure why myself, but I think that's the reason it's always around for holidays - it makes a good excuse to eat it. And kids always like it. I know why so I always figure, let them eat all they want for a day or so, then throw most of it away after that. Can't be too long term. :) And kids love opening presents, so although I know stuff isn't the important idea - making them happy is part of the important idea. And I'm very jealous of your weather situation - these cold mornings we've been having here this week are begining to scare me. Wow. Longest comment ever. blah.

Anonymous said...

sometimes i get a bit "bah-humbug" with the holidays because i feel kinda manipulated by all the commercial marketing. it's not the holiday itself, but rather the push all the stores have to "force" me to buy things i don't really need. There doesn't have to be LOTS of candy, or LOTS of stuff.........but, some just makes the festivities more cheery.

rubyslipperz

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

We both know we are opposites.. I love the fall and the holidays!:) Cooler weather here I come!!! but I agree about the focus. For Halloween we go with friends and after 2 days, leftover candy is donated to Mark's classes. As for the holidays, Thanksgiving means cleaning for company. Boo for cleaning, yeah for company. For Xmas - For my life, I found that if I did all the extra stuff I wanted to do(buying, making, baking) before Dec than I had time to be with family and focus on the 'spirit of the season.' Last year we went on a trip for our family present and it was by far the best Chrismas ever. No wrapping, no junk. Just a wonderful time and wonderful memories. PS - I'd come to a dress up Halloween party! :)