9.03.2010

one more sheep in the herd

you know how you have dreams for years and years and finally come to a point where you have the guts to attempt at making them a reality, and then you investigate the process and come to find out that your dreams aren't unique at all... they're just like everyone else's?  no.  i didn't figure you did.  but i do.

i really cherish 'uniqueness'.  not to the point of living as an outcast. but i just hate not having anything to call my own.  no style that defines me...no talents that set me apart...no experiences that others haven't had. 

i've always loved to write. but come to find out, so does everyone and their dog.  and now that it's harder to find someone who DOESN'T blog, than it is to find someone who does... i just don't feel so special anymore.  i have been longing for a full-blown website of my own.  one with creative graphics and actual links to other pages, not just a scrolling blog.  but it seems in this day and age that they're a dime a dozen.

i've always loved the feel of a camera in my hands.  i've always loved the idea of capturing a moment in time...forever.  and i've always thought it was kinda keen that those loves ran in my family.  then in comes the digital camera to just screw everything up.  i never wanted to be a professional photographer.  it would take all the fun out of it.  but now the whole world loves to take pictures.

i like it goes back to that saying "jack of all trades, master of none".  i don't do any one thing really well.  i have lots of loves.  and dream of being some creative pioneer in some realm.  but it seems the herd was already moving a certain direction and the destination wasn't even my idea to begin with.

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

I enjoyed your comment b/c I feel similarly but you know what, I NEVER would peg you as a heard follower. It's not because you like photography or scrapping or all those things, it's because you make decisions based on what you think is the best thing. You never seem to decide because that's what people do. That makes you completely unique. You decide for yourself what's right and you do it.Not a lot of that running around.

Lina Buchanan said...

I love this post. I am feeling the same way lately. All my life I've been waiting for that "one thing" to emerge. I keep finding things I DON'T like and DON'T like doing, but that just seems like a lot of negativity and time wasted.

I wish you luck on your quest! I'm right there with you - although, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I'll just bake pizza for us along the way. :)

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

I have been thinking about this alot lately so it was funny to look up your blog and see a post about it. Jack of all trades and master of none. I used to appreciate diversity and having alot of different experiences but now I find myself with nothing imparticular to call my own. Still trying to find that one (or two) things that I am passionate enough about to invest the time needed to be good at it. It may not be in the cards for me but I wish you luck!!...and I agree, you could never be called a follower!