4.15.2009

evolution, or illusion of

several years ago when i started putting family info up online, things were very different. i had a website before general population even knew of the word 'blog'. it began with laziness. we have always moved around. this june we will be making our 14th move in the almost 14 years we've been married. and the fact that we've been in this current residence for 5 years (WOW!) tells you a bit about those other 13 moves. as kids and our life events were changing constantly, i just became lazy about calling someone every time something was new. i had daily contact with email even before i was married (15 years ago). but it just wasn't the norm back then. most of my parents' generation still didn't even have a computer in the home, and if they did, they sure didn't know how to use it very well. so they relied on the annual card/picture of the family to see what the kids looked like and hear a few short sentences about what we were up to. 5 or 6 years ago i decided i didn't even want to do that all the time. it was costly, and i wanted something that people could get info from more often instead of on a yearly basis. so i set up a website that would keep current info on what the kids were doing, a few pictures, and our contact info. i'm pretty sure not many really ever looked at it. there were still so many that didn't have online access, or if they did, it just wasn't a part of their routine. but i didn't care. at that point i was just too tired of contacting people separately to tell them what was going on. so i figured i would dump the responsibility on everyone else. if they cared to know about us, they would have to visit the web. it didn't work all that well. people still rebelled against the technology and still complained that they didn't hear about or know about some news.

now in the world of blog overload, i have succumbed to the masses and put our info all on blogger. i'm not sure any more people take the time to find out what we're up to than before, considering the lack of comments i get from my posts. or maybe my posts are just boring. but nowadays the online blog serves sort of a different purpose and i never really noticed it until recently. or perhaps it's just an illusion in my mind. back in the day the online space allowed me to keep in touch with many people all in one fell swoop, without the cost of postage. now when i post things, it seems that i have much more to blab about and i actually want to share a part of my brain with cyberspace. i am a research fanatic. can't ever seem to make a decision or tell anyone about anything unless i feel i've absorbed an insane amount of facts about the topic. and then i think to myself..."why should anyone spend all that time and go through that torturous process if they don't have to? if i could just pass on the information that i spent all those hours accumulating, wouldn't they be on their way quicker than i was?". but again, it could all just be an illusion that i have evolved. if no one reads the blog, then really no one is benefiting from my 'sharing', and i'm just amusing myself. so for the time being, i'll just amuse myself and share some things i've learned along the way about my favorite OR most researched (don't confuse the two) topics, such as travel, shopping, and homeschooling. i'll leave photography out for now, since my views don't seem to agree with the masses and there are a million photography websites out there. (come to think of it, most of my views on most topics differ from the masses. perhaps that's the explanation for the lack of post comments). i tried that separate blog on shopping, and i don't think anyone paid much attention. hence, i'm leaning more toward the illusion/amusement theory than the evolution one. oh well.

coming soon...my basis for all my homeschool curriculum choices and why. revisit to read or NOT. but i will spew for my own amusement regardless.

1 comment:

THE SNOW FAMILY said...

I read all your posts and I've been to your shopping blog! I just don't comment often...on any blog. I am lacking in the original thoughts department so I keep the small flicks in my brain to myself. Love you Dee! Can't wait to see you in July!!!